Sunday, May 27, 2007

Excal at Colonial... The Thrilling Conclusion

Well, Excal got the better of me today... giving 14 strokes and 600 yards of golf course, I just couldn't get 'er done. We pushed the front nine when I made a clutch birdie on 9 to square it up and get back to even par, but the gas tank was empty. The wind, the mud, the constant watching of the vertigo-inducing "move" that Excal was working on... I was 36-42, while he grinded out a 46-46 and beat me 3 and 2.

For the weekend then we had me at 77-73-78 and Excal at 97-92-92... well under Vegas' over/under line... although Vegas didn't anticipate Excal would play the last two courses from 6200 yards. Fun times were had by all, and I learned a lot about our former commish, such as...

1. He does not like the sight of houses on a golf course. This was a constant issue for him. Apparently the presence of wealth ruins his day of drinking and smoking cigars... oh yeah, and trying to hit a golf ball.

2. He will whine and moan like a girl if he has to play from the men's tees. Rather, he likes to set it up from the front/seniors tees and have at it. As he says "I have to play my game," which is absolutely correct... and that game resembles that of a 63 year old 23 handicapper.

3. He likens himself as a "little terrier... always grinding." Yeah... whatever.

4. As a golfer, he is a pretty good mime.

That looks like my last round of golf with an FPGPer (other than Stan the Man) for a while, at least until the FPGP Open. Excal says he's in for October in Myrtle Beach... are we doing this thing or not?

2 comments:

buzz said...

A classic commentary Tex - you did right in conceptualizing our wacknut canuck! no MBP mention?

New Texan said...

Shockingly, he did not really drink that much... I was expecting him to be loaded on Saturday, and it never happened. He "paced" himself... oddly though, he was hung over big time on Sunday, which lead to this observation.

He had a 2 footer to win the first hole on sunday, and he nearly lipped it out... his hands were trembling. At that point I said "no gimmes today" and he knew I meant it. So... a few holes later he started drinking beer, and suddenly his hands were calm. Hmmmm... I am no doctor, but that can't be good.