Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Deafening Silence

Well... Shades decided to not post the ass-whoopin' he put on me today. Hmmm... the psychological warfare for the Nelson golf weekend begins.

I am in Charleston for work, and flew in early to play a round with Jeff at Oak Pointe on Kiawah. I'd like to blame my shitty ass game on being tired from getting up super early, or on being stuck on a 3 hour flight... but crap... I just stunk it up out there today. I put up a fugly 83 to Shades' 80. My bogey-par-double-double finish was like watching a monkey fuck a football.

On the bright side, it looks like I get 3 strokes in April. Sweet.

Nice course... more "target golf" than I am comfortable with, particularly since Shades offers no guidance whatsoever. The course seemed to be designed with my game in mind, as I found every sand trap on the damned place, a water hazard or two, and various other spots that "members" like Jeff seem to avoid with ease. The classic was the last hole... it looks a lot like the 18th at the Ocean Course... Jeff says "it's 230 to carry the hazard." It is so flat, all of the bunkers in the distance look like they are beside the green, so I say "uhhh... ok" and proceed to hit what I thought was a good ball... then I hear "oh, that's in the trap." Well, shit. A 270 yard frozen rope 3-wood, right into the middle of a bunker that looked like it was 350 yards away. Shit again.

And yeah, Shades did provide a yardage book... but I like to play by "feel." (OK, I am choking on my own spit on that one...).

3 comments:

JS said...

In match play terms it was very close with me finishing 1-up. Overall, I didn't feel that I played that well. But I also didn't have the excuse of an early wake up and 3 hour flight (where New Tex was called a dick by a nice petite woman on the flight.) Course knowledge was key though. I think there is a premium on that when playing shorter courses that are more "target golf" related. Sure, you can have 3 strokes. We will be re-evaluating after 18 anyway, so I could still end up getting many strokes on the final 18.

The best shot of the day by New Tex was his green-side bunker shot on #4. He was just left of the green and about 8 feet away in a 3 foot deep bunker. He hits the ball that then hits the top of the bunker and drops about 4 feet short but has lots of top spin. It rolls to about 6" of the hole. Much better than my cut hybrid on 10 that found the palm tree (Palmetto tree in SC) that forced the ball down, but allowing it to continue to roll pin high onto the green.

I don't know which ball NT hit better. The range ball on #10 or the Wilson Staff on 16 and 17.

JS said...

Oh and the cut hybrid was from the driving range parallel right of the 10th fairway.

New Texan said...

haha! I forgot about all that... holy blackout batman. That bunker shot was perfectly executed, assuming you called a "line drive off the lip with lots of top spin which rolls up for a tap in."

The range ball shot was the best... on 10 I hit one near the range... I totally misread the distance, thinking I had 175 downwind, I hit an 8 iron... yeah... I had 135. Ooops... ball flew over the green... pissed, I stepped back about 20 yards, took a 9 iron and hit a one of the range balls... right on the old green! This was after shades banked one off a palm tree FROM THE RANGE onto the green. Yeah, this was some high quality golf today. You don't want any part of us JG! We have more frigging trick shots than you can count!

I was so disgusted with the way I was playing, I pulled out a sleeve of Wilson Staff balls that had to be at least 3 years old. They must have been a Xmas present from a stupid ex or something, becuase I have no memory of buying any ball other than Titleists in my life. Since we had the time, we hit two balls on some holes and played them both out. The final tally for those 3 or 4 holes:

Wilson Staff: even par.
Titleist NXT: 2 over.

I may need to switch balls.