Friday, March 09, 2007

Callaway Balls?

I have blogger set up to alert me when someone makes a comment on the blog, which is why I tend to respond quickly. Unfortunately, there is only room for one email address in that blogger settings field, so you guys are screwed... haha. Anyway, I mention this because JG had left some comments down on the 2/25/07 Update post that were far enough back that you may not have noticed. He just asked whether any of us have ever hit Callaway balls, so I thought I'd just repost the thought here and let everyone chime in. I expect a dissertation from Shades.

Me... never. I've pretty much hit Titleists my whole life. I don't like Pro Vs though, as I tend to spin them too much and inconsistently, which messes up my already fragile short game. I typically just hit the NXTs now... they are reasonably priced and pretty consistent and have a "harder" feel to them than the Pro Vs, which I like. Back in the day, I'd hit 100 compression Titleists because I wanted to feel my mishits, so I guess I've always like a harder feeling ball.

Anyone else?
--------
As a side note, I just noticed Jeff's post about that mygolfrecord.com website (this thing lets me know when comments come in, but not new posts... weird). It really is a neat little web site for tracking some basic stats, and it doesn't cost anything. If we are ever going to get an FPGP golf outing together, we'll need to figure out shots, so this could be a good central place for us to enter scores.

4 comments:

JS said...

I play the Callaway HX Tour ball. That has been my #1 ball of choice for over a year. My driver swing speed is in the 96-98 mpg range and the feel of the ball is very good. I also like that the ball doesn't spin much off the tee. While I don't like the spin of the ball off the tee, I do like the ability to spin the HX Tour ball with my short irons. The bite isn't as good as with the Titleist but I find that the ProV1's have too much spin. The way I see it, if the ball is good enough for Olin Browne, it's good enough for me.

New Texan said...

And for shades it's good to have a ball that doesnt spin when he hits his right-to-way right hozel shots.... those things are in enough trouble!

JS said...

It's a shot I've been working on called the "Hosel Push". A slight Right-Right-to-even-farther-Right shot. For those short dogleg right par 3's at the putt-putt.

JS said...

JG, hope you're practice with the Callaway Balls is going well. I read that the reason Els went to Callaway was, in part, the golf ball. I think the HX Tour spins just fine around the greens. But then again, I don't have nearly the club head speed that you do. What irons are you using? The Tour X forged are very nice.