Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Pinstripes and All Else Are Just Gripes


Being that I grew up 2 blocks from Yankee stadium and played NY Police League ball in the Bronx (before we ran for our proverbial lives to Yonkers and then down to Northern VA), I must say that you Sox fans are hilarious. You'd think baseball began in 2004. One championship season per century does not constitute a rivalry...it's the equivalent of being French and worshipping the one French war hero and thinking you have a rivalry with Germany. The Yankees are the greatest sports franchise in the history of the world (don't even give me the America's Cup bullshit) bar none. They do it with class and respect for the game and an incredibly large cable deal.

6 comments:

New Texan said...

I hereby retract my plea of V2V.

And, the Red Sox have won 7 WS titles... there are few franchises that can say that... granted, we tend to have some "periods of inactivity" but that is not the point.

JS said...

Why is this up on this blog?

New Texan said...

I don't censor... even when it is a Yank-me fan making a post.

JS said...

I'm not for censoring, but this is a golf blog, a golf pool blog, a golf chat blog. My point is that this is not a blog for baseball.

Sorry Vic, but I just don't think it was appropriate to post that here. But since it is, winning 5 from the Sox was great by the Yanks, but that still doesn't remove the history of the 4 in a row the Red Sox took from the Yanks in 2004, the fact the Yanks can't beat expansion teams in the World Series, the 80's Yanks sucked worse and the Yanks still haven't won a World Series since the Red Sox last won one. So yes, the Yanks won more World Series in the last 120 years, but this is a what have you done for me lately world and lately the Yankees haven't made it out of the playoffs. If you can't beat expansion teams and wild cards teams, then how can you get excited over your team.

New Texan said...

Jeff, Jeff, Jeff...

1. It is golf-relevant. The Sox need to warm up the sticks. October is a beautiful month to play golf in New England, and they will not be otherwise busy.

2. Arguing about the Yankees domination is a losing battle, every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I am as big a Sox fan as anyone, but the "what have you done for me lately" is a weak argument, at best. Mostly because it in 4 months it will probably be thrown right back in your face by Vic and Rob, as the Yanks hoist another banner.

New Texan said...

Vic, I hate to say it but

1. i agree with you
2. i was going to make that same point on the time frame just so you wouldn't do it but
3. i couldnt get myself to do it.