Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Openning Lines on Vegas Golf

Well, Shades, Tiger and I (and Shade's bro-in-law, Tev, who will join us in the FPGP next year) have our tee times set for the Vegas trip. We play a late afternoon round at Beer Creek (or something like that) on Friday, and we have a 1:00 tee time at Las Vegas National on Sunday. Here are some openning line thoughts:

1. No way Tiger Philp breaks 100 on Sunday. Can't happen. After 48 hours of Vegas, booze, lights, booze, boobs, booze, and no sleep, he'll be lucky to tee the ball in the ground without falling over. Toss in the 110 degree heat, and this is a round that is destined for triple digits. I think the right over/under is 110.

2. Over/under for Shades' round on Friday: 96. The dude is flying from SC to WASHINGTON DC, to get to Vegas. He's in the air long enough to fly to London. No chance that he is stepping off the plane and putting up a good number. Can't happen.

3. Over/under for number of balls I hit OB during the weekend. Probably 10. No practice, no play... I can't imagine driving it well on new courses with no sleep. I'd also stick the over/under for my rounds at 90. Last time I pegged it was in May w/ Shades, and I doubt I'll play before Vegas... maybe some range time though. 5 rounds of golf in 2.5 years is not a lot to hang a hat on.

4. Tiger showing up for the Sunday round is about 2:1. He will bitch about the cost, and bitch about being tired.

5. Odds that any one of Tiger's drives that is in the fairway is longer than a drive of mine that is in the fairway: 20:1 Odds that he outdrives Shades: 10:1

6. Over/under on number of clubs in Tiger's bags: 17

7. Over/under on number of putts Tiger tries to give himself in two rounds: 8

8. Over/under on number of holes Tiger will lose due to violating rules on not holing out: 8

9. Odds of me retaining the coveted "Yankee-Gamecock Golf Classic Champion" Cup (aka "da Cup") in a 36 hole match with shades: even. I'd say I am a 6:5 favorite, but I can't pull the "hey will you be my best man?" trick on the turn like I did in May. That was worth at least one hole, as shades was 2 up on 10 tee, and jacked it dead left after I asked him...

10. Over/under on number of times Tiger utters "no justice" during the weekend: 7. For the uninitiated, this the battle cry used when Tiger hits something like a 4-wood from 140 yards only to see it come up short in a lake.

11. Over/under on number of times I yell at myself after a bad shot and call myself "Stephen!" 14. I may not play much, but my temper is still in fine tune.

12. Odds that Shades will play me straight up: 2:1. Come on dude, i don't play anymore! I can't give you strokes! Let's play it even on Friday, and adjust on Sunday? Deal?

13. Over/under on number of "live blog comments" that will be posted to the FPGP blog during the weekend golf rounds: 12. What can I say, I love me my blackberry.

3 comments:

New Texan said...

Uh, that's "Bear Creek" not "Beer Creek." Nicklaus course.

Paging Dr. Freud...

JS said...

Str8 up is fine with me, with adj either way on Sunday. Hell, you're not playing and me joining a club and forgetting how to hold a club is train wreck in the making.

New Texan said...

Cool... straight up the first day, then the 2nd, whoever is down can get half the strokes/holes they are down. So, if you have me four down through the first 18, i'd get two shots... one on each of the two hardest handicap holes. I dont think it should be a 100% swap, because it takes away the incentive of kicking your/my ass on the first day...

Yeah, our games have tumbled... your's from I don't know what... mine from lack of play. Shooting 75 and being pissed off and not being able to sleep over it seems like an eternity ago. I still remember one of those matches we had in Charleston where I had to shoot 34 or 35 on the back nine, including a birdie on 18 to beat you. That was fun. In vegas I foresee a lot of "double there shades?" "yeah" "me too... good push."