Monday, April 28, 2008

Nelson Recap

Well, I hope the boys would chime in with a "great time was had by all" because I know that I had big fun. In the span of 4 days, we were able to squeeze in 72 wind-swept holes of golf, plus a day and a half at the Byron Nelson tourney. The biggest mistake I made all weekend was constantly forgetting to bring my camera with me, so there are no photographs of the group, or more importantly, Excal teeing the ball up 5 yards in front of the markers, which were already colored white.

Several wagers were made...

On Thursday, Shane and I took on Shades and Excal in an 18-hole match-play match were we used the combined score for each team. Shane and I won 6 and 5, as poor Excal was as rusty as it gets, and Shades couldn't get it going. Worse for Jeff, he proposed a "credit card roulette" game at Hooters (the match was for the tab), where he tossed his and Excal's credit cards face down and asked the waitress to pick one.... and she picked Shades'. Ouch.

My annual 54 hole match play match with Jeff started on Friday when we played 36 holes. Despite pushing him into a 6 hole deficit on the back 9 of the final 18, he closed it to just a 1-down gap by the end of the round. I took Excal as my partner in the same kind of match as the day before, and we summarily destroyed Shane and Jeff. Excal hit his MBP (that's "Maximum Beer Potential") quite early, and we cruised. Amazingly, through 54 holes, Excal was tied for "most birdies" (with a paltry 2, but still).

Saturday was Nelson day... the course looked good, and the players were struggling. A great combination. There were two groups on the par 5 7th tee during the afternoon... sucks for them, but I like to see the pros playing in the same slow conditions as us hacks from time to time. Shades and I officially have man-crushes on Adam Scott.

We were a man-down on Sunday as Shane couldn't handle the Dallas lifestyle... too much drinky drinky, and he couldn't get himself out to the golf course. Shades won the first 3 holes to go 2-up on me, before giving a couple back. It was back and forth most of the day, until he hit an iron shot into tap in birdie range on 14. When I left my 30 footer for birdie short, he was 2 up with 4 to go, and he was getting a stroke from me on 18. Not good. A par and birdie on 15 and 16 pulled me even, and then it was finger nail biting time... The 17th was a 180 yard hole with swirling wind. At first I thought the wind was in our face, and I had a 5-iron,... then it seemed to switch to our back, so I grabbed a 7. Then I didn't know what to do, so I just said "screw it, hit a hard 6", and I got it up about 25 feet from the hole. Shades hit his a little right into a chipping area and made a great chip shot to tap in range. We both parred... all even on 18. You could cut the tension with a knife... even Excal managed to stay quiet. 18 is a tough driving hole... I found the fairway, but Shades was in a fairway bunker... he hit a great shot from about 165, but it flew long and was over the green. I had wedge in and chunked it a bit, and left myself about the 50th 30 foot birdie putt of the weekend. Shades chipped his up about 8 feet from the hole, which was a good shot... that putt was to win The Cup. He got over the ball, said "trust it"... and then backed off. Uh oh.

He missed it.

I tapped in for par and we finished "all square". We've always played this match with Ryder Cup rules, in that the current holder of The Cup keeps it in the event of a tie.

Phew.

So, 72 holes of golf, 72 (at least) bottles of beer, many laughs, etc. I don't anticipate touching a golf club for a few weeks... I'm burned out and my wife would kill me.

1 comment:

SteveV said...

Shane should not consider playing in the Monkey Hill Classic if he can't handle Dallas!