Sunday, February 25, 2007

UPDATE 2/25/07

Ok folks, here is the first of what will hopefully be weekly updates. As I said, with this week's update the Gossett Rule is being invoked. As you know, the Gossett Rule applies to PGA Tour players who have not earned a dollar on Tour. Those players have as their "money ranking" score the last player on the list, plus one. If you look at the money list here, you'll see that Grant Waite is currently at the bottom of the money list, ranked 215th. Thus, this week any PGA Tour players who have not earned a dollar are ranked 216. Interestingly, these are some of Jeff's best picks.

The players affected by the Gossett Rule are:

Olin Browne
Brad Faxon
Jonathan Kaye
Hank Kuehne
Justin Leanord
Scott McCarron
Craig Perks
Patrick Sheehan

Once these players make a cut (assuming they do) they will be off the Gossett Rule schneid.

On with the rankings... what a shock... Defending champ 'da bandit' is in the lead.

7 comments:

New Texan said...

Being in Gossett is not a decision... you got yourself a little spendin' money so far, so you are OK on that score! It only affects players who are not on the money list yet because they have no official earnings.

I'll tell you what the emails have been saying... "when is the damned trade deadline, because JG is going to go quickly." This thing is like the stock market... buy low, sell high... you're a little low now, but the boys think you can pull through... I just don't know whether to dump Justin Leanord or not... if you were me, would you dump lil' Justin and trade for you? :-)

Congrats on getting a new deal... What's in the bag now?

New Texan said...

Ahh, sweet freedom. I've always wondered why guys switch equipment after they start winning and attracting sponsors... well, duh... it's the money. But still...

I love the Vokey wedges... I can't hit Pro-V1s though... I like the feel, but I have no sense of control with the spin... sometimes I'd hit a wedge that would stop, sometimes it would spin back 15 feet... cute for a weekend hack, but frustrating nonetheless. I just hit NXTs now... they are somewhat soft, and I know how they will react on the greens on the rare occasion they come off the clubface (as opposed to heel, toe, leading edge... you get the picture!).

JG, the FPGP will be happy to sponsor you! We can't provide much in terms of support... maybe a sleeve of balls a week (don't hit 'em ob!)... probably a dinner or two at various Tour stops (we have FPGPers all over the place), and a place to hang your hat that beats the crap out of a Comfort Inn... otherwise, the corporate vault here is pretty bare. I am pretty creative on the accounting side, but there's not much I can do with $1500 a year.

JS said...

JG, who is the new team you're with. You joining Els and going to Callaway?

JS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
New Texan said...

Oh, and one other thing... if you want to join TEAM FPGP (I like the sound of that!), you can dump your caddy for the Nelson week. I'll get you around those goat farms. I know all the places you don't want to be on the TPC course (i've been in all of them), so that should help.

Caddies get to drive a golf cart, right? I don't think my fat ass could haul a tour bag for 18 holes.

hahaha

JS said...

Maybe he will switch to one of those light carry bags for you.

JG, good to have you back. Sounds like the equipment change was exactly what the doctor ordered. I also like the sound of you playing "true" golf equipment. Nike makes great sneakers. Titliest, Footjoy and the others make great golf products.

JS said...

I play the Callaway HX Tour ball. [See recent blog post titled,"Callaway Balls?" for my golf ball review"]