Monday, February 26, 2007

Big Break VII

Shades reminded me that the Big Break VII was on last night. I've not watched much of this series, but this new season is a "reunion show" that features Shades' pal, Tommy "Two Gloves" Gainey. Since it was that or the Oscars, I figured I'd give it a look.

What a joke.

This is what the Golf Channel spews as entertainment for golf fans? First, it is more "reality show" than golf, which makes me sick. Second, it is pretty clear that at least half of the players are flat out no good, or at least not good enough for the grand prize (an exemption on the Nationwide, LPGA, or Champions' Tour, depending on who wins). The show features 16 "players" half men, half women. The first 30 minutes of the show was the drama surrounding who would be partnered with who. Here's a thought... "who the hell cares?" From there, they did three challenges to "seed" the teams. Ok, this was starting to make sense.

Challenge 1 was the "break glass" challenge. They stick a small plate of glass about 20 yards away from a teeing area, and the players needed to hit a shot that would break the glass. I admit, this was cool... because I COULDN'T DO IT. I can't hit the ball that low with control, so I thought this was a neat skill. That said, some of the women actually topped their shots. Ugh.

Challenge 2 was a stinking "closest to the pin" shot from 180 yards. Granted, the wind was pretty strong, but out of 16 players, no one hit what would be an impressive shot. A few of the women flared out woods that were just awful. One of the men hit a damned duck hook with a 4-iron, right into the lumber yard. Shades' friend hit a respectable enough shot to 30 feet... One guy tried to hit a cut driver to be a show-off. I mean, this was a joke. Hell, the old lady hit a full-bore driver and didn't carry a sand trap. If I want to watch an old lady hit a driver 180 yards, I'll just wait until Joel comes down during the Colonial weekend in May. Heyyo!

Challenge 3 was a "lob shot" challenge. The players had to hit their shots from behind some tallish (not tall) wooden structure with a door in the middle (so they could walk through the door to see where the ball ended up... sigh). About 1/3 of the players HIT THE DAMNED DOOR with their shot. Are you kidding me? The best shot was to about 4 feet, hit by one of the women. A lot of them flew way too long. This is "golf entertainment?"

Here's the deal... If I am going to watch golf on TV, I need to watch competition that doesn't look like me, Shades, Joel, and the rest out there slashing around the course. The actual quality of the golf counts. This is why I avoid watching the old men and young women. I am sure all of these players are decent in their own right, but based on what I've seen so far, I can't imagine any of them having a chance of success on any of the Tours they looking to get exemptions into.

1 comment:

JS said...

I'd have to say that I too was a bit disappointed. My boy, TTG (Tommy Two Gloves), is by far the best player out of the group of 18. Of the other 15 not one would I expect to see on anything close to a mini-tour. TTG is a damn good player, but knowing his ability and on-course management style, he would be an average Nationwide Tour player if he had played his practice round prior to the 2nd round of q-school (more on that after the BB VII is over). Until that time, I'll stick with watching BB VII and seeing if TTG makes it. I have no idea if he does as they had to sign paperwork that said they could be sued for up to $1 million if they told anyone.

I did find it interesting that TTG was paired with the 2004 Mass. Women's Amatuer Champion. I think her name is Brianna or something like that. She supposedly has some game.

That 180 par 3 shot killed me though. Sure the wind was blowing, but if those guys and gals can't even get it on the green, then what would they do in a real tournament? TTG hit a decent shot, 6-iron that went about 210.